October Power Poll
Memphis leaders sound off.
The Power Poll is a monthly survey sent to more than 437 influential business, political, nonprofit and cultural leaders in the Bluff City. The poll is presented by The Commercial Appeal and sponsored by BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee and DVL Seigenthaler - Finn Partners.
The October Power Poll focused on several different topics in the news recently.
The October Memphis Power Poll:
Dr. Manoj Jain, an infectious disease expert, said recently that "we're in the best place we've ever been" when it comes to the COVID-19 pandemic. How do you feel about the pandemic?
- 8.9% — Very optimistic that we are nearing the end
- 53.2% — Cautiously optimistic we are nearing the end
- 35.4% — Neutral -- waiting to see what happens during the next few months
- 1.3% — Pessimistic -- waiting for the next shoe to drop
- 1.3% — Very pessimistic -- Pretty sure there is another surge in the future
Last month, Ford announced plans for Blue Oval City at the Memphis Regional Megasite creating 5,800 jobs. What do you think this means for the region?
- 48.1% — It's the start of significant additional investment in West Tennessee and Memphis
- 15.2% — It will bring additional investment, but will likely only have minimal impact on Memphis
- 30.4% — It will be great for the Megasite and the immediate surrounding area, but not sure what it will mean for Memphis
- 3.8% — There will likely be little impact felt in Memphis and Shelby County
- 2.5% — I'm hopeful but skeptical about the impact in Shelby County
The Memphis Tigers are coming into the season with the top-ranked recruiting class and are picked by many to win the AAC title. What are your predictions for the season?
- 5.3% — NCAA Champions, baby!
- 24.0% — AAC Tournament champions and advance to at least the NCAA Final Four
- 53.3% — AAC Tournament champions and Sweet 16
- 10.7% — Not win the AAC tournament, but get into the NCAA tourney
- 0% — Miss the NCAA tourney
- 6.7% — Will be ruled ineligible for post-season play due to James Wiseman saga
The Memphis Grizzlies, led by Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr., tip off the season this week. What is your prediction for the year?
- 2.7% — NBA Champions
- 38.7% —Western Conference Finals
- 53.3% — Eliminated in first round of playoffs
- 5.3% — Will miss the playoffs
Power Poll Members: Do you have a friend or colleague who should be on Power Poll? Please invite them to join!
About Power Poll: Power Poll asks questions of the most powerful, influential people in U.S. cities. It is not a scientific survey. But because the people responding to the surveys comprise the leadership structure of their cities, the results afford a fascinating glimpse into the thoughts, opinions, and beliefs of those in a position to make change. Power Poll is distinctly nonpartisan.
We thank the following organizations for their support of Power Poll. Learn more about becoming a sponsor here.