May 17, 2021 6:00am

Broward Leaders Give Governor's Mask and Vaccine Orders a Thumbs Down but Support Vaccines for Youth

County Leaders Worry COVID-19 Could Roar Back With Reduced Precautions

Photo of Sallie James
By Sallie James
Fort Lauderdale, FL Correspondent

Worried about the continuing effects of COVID-19, Broward leaders voiced dissatisfaction with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis' decision to ditch mask requirements in July. They also disagreed with DeSantis' statewide ban on vaccine passports.

According to results from the ninth Fort Lauderdale Power Poll, a majority of respondents worry that COVID-19 could resurge if precautions are loosened too soon. However, Broward leaders expressed strong support for extending vaccine availability to teenagers.

Here are the poll results:

Our first Power Poll question focused on DeSantis' decision to dump all city and county mask requirements on July 1st. We asked our poll takers if they felt comfortable with DeSantis' decision. The answer was a resounding "no."

FINN Partners Logo

Of the respondents, 62.5 percent disagreed or strongly agreed with the decision to no longer require masks. On the other hand, 37.5 percent agreed or strongly agreed with ditching masks.

Our second Power Poll question focused on vaccine requirements. We asked Broward leaders if they supported DeSantis' executive order blocking vaccine passports statewide. They overwhelming disagreed with the executive order, with 85 percent of the poll takers disagreeing or strongly disagreeing. Another 25 percent of the respondents agreed with DeSantis stance on vaccine passports.

Our third Power Poll question focused on COVID-19 safety in general. We asked Broward leaders if they worried about a possible COVID-19 resurgence if mask requirements were lifted in July. Half of the respondents agreed or strongly agreed that there was risk, while 25 percent were neutral and another 25 percent disagreed that there was added risk.

In our fourth Power Poll question, we asked poll takers if they agreed with vaccinating 12-15 year olds if the availability were extended to teenagers. The answer was a resounding "yes" with 75 percent of the respondents strongly agreeing and 25 percent agreeing.


More on This Poll

More Polls

More on This Poll